Welcome to Coach's Information and Certification Central
RFL NAVY Head Coaches: are appointed by the Division Commissioner, General Managers and approved by the Board of Directors. If you would like to be a Head Coach email the Division Commissioner or Franchise GM . Include whatever playing and coaching experience you have as well as your current occupation.
RFL Assistant Coaches and ARMY Head Coaches: are appointed by the specific team NAVY Head Coach. If you do not have a specific team in mind email the Division Commissioner of the age group or groups you are interested in and the Commissioner will make your information available to Head Coaches looking for assistants.
IMPORTANT! Please read the following before starting the certification process.
Before starting the Coach's Certification Process it is very important that you read the revised RFL Rules and Coach's Requirements and Responsibilities.
RFL RULES REVISED
RULES OF THE ROCKVILLE FOOTBALL LEAGUE.pdf
Coach Registration and Certification
The following procedure must be followed to be certified to coach in the RFL:
DO NOT DO ANY OTHER STEP UNTIL YOU DO STEP #1 - REGISTER AS A COACH ON THE RFL WEBSITE
The following information provides the steps required for you to complete your 2018 coach’s registration and certification process. Please note you need to complete all the steps prior to weigh-in in order to receive your side line pass granting you access to the field during games. The steps are listed on the RFL website and are accessible by clicking on the “Coaches Home” tab and then clicking on “Coaches Corner”.
The steps are:
- Registering as a coach with the RFL - www.rfl.cc if you do not do this 1st - anything else you do will not be accepted. You will get an email receipt, please print and take with you to your fingerprinting appointment.
- Completing a background check release form for all NEW coaches and schedule appointment for fingerprinting.There are 3 steps involved in completing this process.
-Use on the link below, it will take the volunteer coach to a form created on City of Rockville website:
-Go through the form and complete the 3 steps. As part of the 3 steps, each volunteer will schedule a fingerprint appointment online.
1-Remind Coaches to select volunteer and select the specific sport they are getting fingerprinted for (both required in step 1 of the process).
2-Arrive for scheduled fingerprint appointment at Rockville City Hall, 111 Maryland Avenue, Rockville MD 20850, Human Resources Division (2nd Floor)
IMPORTANT - PRINT AND TAKE THE RFL COACH REGISTRATION EMAIL RECEIPT WITH YOU WHEN YOU GO FOR YOUR FINGERPRINTING APPOINTMENT!!!!!!
3-Send RFL and City of Rockville Sports Division the fingerprint receipt (email to
). This way both organizations can keep track of the fingerprints as well.
- Completing USA Football Youth Tackle Certification or Recertification Course.
USA FOOTBALL Youth Coaching Certification Course, (Fall coaches) All New Coaches must take the Youth Tackle Certification Course. Returning Coaches must take the Youth Tackle Recertification Course.
The Course Includes: Shoulder Blocking and Tackling Skills, Health and Safety and Fundamentals of Coaching.
1> The CDC Concussion certification is included in the Health and Safety section 2> You do not have to take the course all at one time. You can do one section at a time and it will save your progress until you complete the course. (no more sitting for 4 hours) 3> "HEADS-UP" CONCUSSION CERTIFICATION - NOW PART OF YOUR USA FOOTBALL COURSE
Youth Coaching Certification Instructions will be on the confirmation email sent to you when you register as a coach. Your membership is pre-paid by the RFL, do not pay for a membership yourself as it will not be reimbursed and you will not be included in the RFL Affiliate Chapter. Coach information is uploaded to USA Football each week on Sunday of the week you register.
The Coach Membership Instructions PDF will assist you accessing the certification course or recertification quiz. This will be emailed to you after you registyer on RFL website.
- Attend a USA Football Heads-Up Clinic – at the GC Coaches Clinic TBD.
- Attend Andy Stefanelli GC Coaches Training Clinic at Good Counsel HS on TBD. Mandatory for all tackle Head and Assistant Coaches.
The clinic fee is 30.00, but will be paid by the RFL for all registered coaches.
Please log in with the same email and password that you used last season. If you are a new coach you will be asked to create an account. If you have changed emails since last season you can go into your USA Football account once you have accessed it with the old email and change your email. If you don't remember the email or password that you used last season you can call USA Customer Service, the number is 1-877-536-6822.
USA Football Player Safety Coach
6. RFL PRACTICE GUIDELINES FOR COACHES 2019
PRACTICE AND TEAM MEETINGS
Team meetings are defined as practices, games, film sessions, conditioning sessions, scrimmages and any other football related activity conducted under the supervision of a member of a team’s coaching staff.
1. Team meetings for the RFL season may not begin before August 1st.
2. Ankle Biter teams may meet three (3) times per week for a maximum of two (2) hours.
3. Pony, Pee Wee and Intermediate teams may meet four (4) times per week for a maximum of two and one half (2 ½) hours.
4. MSFL teams may meet five (5) times per week.
All team meeting times and requirements are subject to limitation by the RFL Heat Guidelines. See Below.
RFL HEAT GUIDELINES.pdf
All RFL coaches must adhere to this policy which has been enacted by the RFL Board of Directors to limit possible head injuries to RFL players.
1. Coaches are encouraged to limit full-speed, full-contact drills during practice.
2. In no event shall coaches have more than 1/3 of practice time dedicated to full-speed, full-contact drills.
3. Once the season starts, Coaches shall conduct no more than two (2) practices per week with contact.
4. No full-speed, full-contact drills in which players line up heads-up more than 3 yards apart are permitted.
5. Inter squad scrimmages must be at least 4 days apart..
6. If Coaches have any question about whether a particular drill or practice schedule complies with this policy, they are encouraged to contact their commissioner or the RFL Director of Football Operations.
7. Coaches violating this policy are subject to discipline under the applicable RFL Rules and Regulations.
All registered head and assistant coaches are required to attend on approved clinic on RFL practice policies.
RFL PRACTICE GUIDELINES.pdf